The definition of the V Formation for Vertical Church is that they are our core values. They are the philosophy and common direction behind everything we do. We use the V Formation as a decision filter; if you understand our core values then decision are easier. The V Formation defines our culture as an organization. Now I know that if you are a church person you may struggle with the use of the word culture to describe our church but think about it, every church has a culture that defines who we are.
The reason we call them the "V Formation" is because of a lesson learned from geese. Have you ever seen geese fly in formation? Ever wondered why they fly that way? The short lesson would be...
- when geese fly in formation they add 72% momentum than if they flew alone;
- when one falls out of formation it feels the resistance of flying by itself and moves back into formation to take advantage of the other birds momentum;
- when the lead goose tires it falls back and another takes the lead;
- the geese honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed (honk, honk!)
- when a goose is wounded, sick or shot down two others follow it down to help and protect it.
When we "fly" in formation, in the same direction we will get where we are going quicker and easier because we are sharing the momentum of one another. So let's get in formation, follow the One who has saved us and "Honk!" like peoples eternity depends on it (because it does).